Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ 11.12.945.920
Software Product Description
Ad-Aware Free features real-time anti-malware protection, rootkit protection, and community-driven initiatives to ensure that you have the power to protect yourself online.
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ now includes the following features that were, up to now, reserved for our paid products:
- Gaming (silent) mode
- Advanced Rootkit Protection
- Enhanced Real-Time Protection
- Download protection to block malicious files before they are written to disk
- Fast Antivirus - It's a superfast antivirus that complements our legendary anti-spyware.
- Legendary Antispyware - The world's most trusted. 400 million downloads and counting.
- Enhanced Real-Time Protection - Immediately detect malware before it harms your PC.
- Download Protection - Download photos, music and movies with confidence.
- Ad-Aware Security Toolbar - Protect yourself against online scams and phishing attacks.
- Game Mode - Play your games and watch your movies without being disturbed.
- Enhanced Performance - Ad-Aware gets out of your way.
- Faster Boot Times - Get to play or work faster.
- Easy to Download, Install and Use - Fire and forget protection.
- Automatic Threat Updates - Stay protected against the latest threats.
- Behavior-Based Heuristics Detection - Block unknown and emerging threats before they harm you.
- Command Line Support - Manage Ad-Aware without launching the interface.
- Pin-Point Scanning - Scan only the files or folders you want.
- User Interface - Designed for ease and usability.
- Malware Sandbox Emulator - Rapidly analyze malware in a virtual environment.
- Processor: 1 GHz
- RAM: 512MB
- Free hard disk space: 300MB
Languages: English / French / German / Spanish / Italian
What's new in version 11.8.586:
- Now Compatible with Microsoft Windows 10
- Upgraded Active Virus Control (AVC) SDK
- New Anti-Spam SDK
- Bug Fixes and Performance Enhancements
- Improved Distribution of Definition Files
- Easier Uninstallation Process
- Improved Upgrade Process
Review Date: 2014-01-01
Pros: Does not slow down system very much (depending on which options you use). Toolbar was installed, even though I opted out, but was easy to remove.
Cons: Online installer and updater takes forever to finish! Very tricky to avoid installing the toolbar. Manual scans are very slow. Uses enormous amount of RAM, even without the toolbar and with only one (realtime protection) option enabled. Remains very, very heavy on RAM even when not running a manual scan. Limited options. Especially missed the option to exclude certain folders.
Other Thoughts: On average, it provides a good balance if you want something that does not slow down your system too much, yet provides fair protection.