Avast Free Antivirus 12.3.2280 Pick
Software Product Description
avast! Free Antivirus includes the following components:
- On Demand Scanner - with Skinnable Simple Interface - just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button.
- On Access Scanner - resident scanning of all files being opened, read and written and behavior blocker monitoring dangerous actions of viruses.
- E-mail scanner easily integrates with most mail clients and it checks both incoming and outgoing mails, it provides heuristic analysis of mail content to protect against new Worms.
- Network Shield - scans traffic for malicious content - lightweight Firewall.
- Resident protection for IM programs (e.g. MSN Messenger, ICQ) and P2P programs (e.g. Kazaa, DirectConnect).
- Boot Time Scanner - scans disks in the same way and in the same time as Windows CHKDSK does (on NT/2000/XP only).
- Explorer Scanner - right click on the object allows you to scan it.
- Screen Saver Scanner - scans PC during your coffee breaks.
- Virus Chest - safety isolated folder to store infected, suspicious and even some system files - to restore them.
avast! Free Antivirus is available in English, French, German, Italian, Japaneese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and other languages - check http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html to download avast! in your language.
Note: FREE registration is required after 30 days. A FREE license key is easily obtained from the convenient registration form within the program interface.
"Bloatware beyond Bloatware"
Review Date: 2016-06-20
Pros: It used to be the best free Anti-Virus solution and the envy of all expensive big gun manufacturers until it overgrew it's main use as an Anti-Virus scanner/solution..
Cons: I've used the Free version of Avast AV software from basically day one when it weighed in at less than 10 MB's as it was by far the best on the market and put all other paid Anti-Virus manufacturers solution's to shame. Sadly I stopped using Avast about a year ago as it became nothing but a huge chunk of bloatware with the download alone weighing in at a staggering 200 plus MB's to basically do the exact same job as the likes of Kingsoft Anti-Virus with its download Weighing in at less than 14 MB's or Microsoft's own Security Essentials which also includes a combined Anti-Spyware Scanner weighing in at less than 12 MB's.
Other Thoughts: Kingsoft Anti-Virus & Microsoft's own Security Essentials are by far the best freeware solutions to date and the way forwards. both work tirelessly in the background with neither hugging the CPU limelight or slowing the Computer/Laptop down one iota and so for me it's thank-you and goodbye to Avast and Hello and welcome to Kingsoft and Microsofts own.