Software Product Description
Features include RTF and DOC support, OLE support, visual header & footer designer, clip history, online reference bar, tabbed document access, spell check, page breaks, print preview, multi-level undo & redo, customizable background, bookmarking, and many more. A detailed Help file is included.
You expect a word processor to be able to handle Word documents, font and paragraph formatting, spell checking, print preview, and more. While Jarte performs all the standard functions well, the most important aspect of Jarte is the numerous small details that make it an efficient and enjoyable tool for creating documents. Small details like:
- Fully compatible with Windows XP, Vista and 7
- Tabbed interface to provide easy access to open documents
- Opens files with file extension RTF, file extension DOC, and file extension DOCX
- Fast start up
- Compact screen size
- Hot Connect lets you use Jarte with other programs
- Optional "Clickless Operation" feature greatly reduces clicking
- Can be run as a portable app directly from a pluggable USB flash drive
- High quality spell checker with custom user dictionary
- Included spelling dictionaries: English (American, British, & Canadian), Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Dutch
- Link to, or import, your existing custom Word spelling dictionaries
- Support for templates
- Export to HTML or PDF
- Single click bookmarking and bookmark navigation
- Send documents via e-mail
- Full drag and drop file support
- Instant access to recently opened documents and folders
- Instant access to documents and folders designated as favorites
- Adjustable document zoom
- Detailed Help documentation
- Insert pictures, hyperlinks, tables, page breaks, equations and other embeddable objects
- Quick Clips option provides easy copy, cut and paste capability using the mouse scroll wheel button
- Standard clipboard functions plus a Paste Plain function which strips HTML and RTF formatting from clipboard text before pasting
- Multi-level undo and redo functions
"Well worth downloading"
Review Date: 2014-09-03
Pros: A fast, stable and versatile app with an extensive feature set. You'll find it even more flexible if you adjust some of the advanced settings by referring to the help file, which can be downloaded from Jarte's site.
Cons: Jarte's lack of support for Unicode or UTF-8 encoded special characters is a serious shortcoming in an editor nowadays. Not everyone lives and works in North America. The features for Jarte Plus, the paid version, appear in the menus of the free version. They are disabled, but not grayed out, so if you try them by accident you'll get a message about buying the full program. A bit annoying until you've learned which menu items to avoid.
Other Thoughts: Jarte does many of the things that WordPad can't do.