RJ TextEd Portable 12.03 Pick
Software Product Description
- Auto completion.
- Code folding.
- Column mode.
- Multi edit and multi select
- Advanced sorting.
- Handles both ASCII and binary files.
- CSS and HTML wizards.
- CSS and HTML preview using internal IE, Firefox 4 and Chrome browsers.
- FTP and SFTP client with synchronization.
- File explorer, text clips, code explorer, project manager...
- Convert between code pages, Unicode formats and text formats.
- Unicode and ANSI code page detection.
- Open/Save UTF-8 encoded files without a signature (BOM).
- Unicode file paths and file names.
- HTML validation, format and repair.
- Tools available like syntax editor, color picker, charmap...
"Tons of great, useful, features for programmers"
Review Date: 2016-09-14
Pros: This program is packed with features, one of the first you will notice is that it has a fully featured file explorer (only available as plug-in in Notepad++), it also has file templates for tons of file types, if features really nice syntax highlighting, themes (I like the Charcoal dark slate), split document view, macros, scripts, integrated web browser preview (IE & Chrome based), there are too many additional features to list.
Cons: The interface was a bit overwhelming at first and some of the items didn't show a tool tip on mouse over for some reason. I used the portable version and it was a bit slow to load up, but, once it gets going things move right along. I didn't see any plug-in or extension support, maybe I missed it though.
Other Thoughts: I have had an on again, off again relationship with Notepad++. I stop using it when I get frustrated over simple things like needing a plug-in to do things like manage files. I worked with RJ TextEd for a couple of hours writing a web form with HTML5, CSS, and PHP, all in separate files. The transition between documents was quick and smooth and felt more natural that the plugin explorer in Notepad++, and miles better than the non functioning file manager in Brackets. I could see this program replacing Notepad++ and Brackets as my go to editor, only time will tell if it is lacking somewhere I cannot see at the moment.