Universal Extractor 1.6.1 Pick
Software Product Description
I should stress that Universal Extractor is not intended to be a general purpose archiving software. It will never replace WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc. What it will do is allow you to extract files from virtually any type of archive, regardless of source, compression method, etc.The original motivation behind this project was that I wanted an easy, convenient way to extract files from installation packages, such as Inno Setup or Windows Installer packages, without pulling up a command line every time. In the process I got a little carried away and ended up throwing in support for every kind of archive format I possibly could find.
It also, of course, includes support for additional formats, as well as the latest versions of support binaries such as 7-Zip.
What's New in version 1.6.1:
- Added support for environmental variables (eg., specify 'temp' for debug dir)
- Added: support for XZ compressed files and txz/tlz archives via 7-Zip
- Added: support for Windows Installer merge modules (.msm) via MsiX
- Added: support for NBH files via NBHextract
- Added: translations for Armenian, Czeck, Persian (Farsi), Serbian, Swedish
- Changed: 7-Zip unpacking behavior; now attempts brute force extraction only after External PEiD scan; change due to aggressive .exe resource extraction in new versions
- Changed: Windows installer support (.msi, .msp) to use MsiX instead of msi2xml
- Changed: LZMA support to use 7-Zip for extraction
- Changed: FEAD support to use PEiD rather than TrID for detection
Read the full Changelog.
Review Date: 2010-05-12
Other Thoughts: Great little program. Have used it to make many non-portable installs portable. Doesn't work on everything,but works on quite a few, and it's free! Worth 5 stars to me.