Downloading files to your computer is a common occurrence for most PC users. When a download starts in the browser, the file is placed in a pre-defined location in the system. By default most of the browsers save all downloaded files in the Downloads Folder which is located at: C:\Users\<Your User name>\Downloads. Easily change this default download location using your web browser settings.
Following are details to change the default download location for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.
- Launch the Chrome browser and find the menu button with three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- After clicking, a drop-down menu will appear. Click on the option ‘Settings’.
- Now scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will find an option ‘Show advanced settings’.
- Click on the ‘Downloads’ section. It will display the location at which downloaded files currently get saved.
- To change the default download location, click ‘CHANGE‘. All downloads will now go directly to the folder of your choice.
- If you’d like to be prompted each time you download a file, simply click the slider for: ‘Ask where to save each file before downloading’.
- Launch the Firefox browser and in the top right-hand corner, there is a button with three horizontal lines.
- Click on this button and you will find a button for ‘Options’.
- After clicking on ‘Options’, the browser will open a new tab.
- Find the ‘Downloads’ section on this page.
- From this section, you can easily change the file download location.
- An option to have Firefox ‘ask you where to save files’ each time you download a file is also available.
- Open the browser and in the top right-hand corner, there is an option ‘Tools’.
- After clicking this, you’ll see a menu and you have to select ‘View Downloads’.
- A new popup window will open. In the bottom left-hand corner of this window, click on ‘Options’.
- Now another popup window will appear and you can change the location from here.
- Launch the Microsoft Edge Browser and locate the menu button in the top right-hand corner.
- Next select the last option ‘Settings’.
- Scroll down to find ‘View Advance Settings’. Here, you have an option to change the download location.
- Users also have the option to select the download location each time a download is initiated.