Customizing your desktop background with your preferred colors and background images is a snap with Windows 10. In a few simple steps, display your personality and create the perfect desktop background unique to your style.
To access the personalization settings, there are multiple options:
- Go to: Windows Key –> Settings Icon –> Personalization
- Go to: Cortana Icon –> Settings Icon –> Personalization
- Go to: Cortana Icon – -> Type “Settings” –> Settings Icon –> Personalization
- Right-click the Windows Key –> Click “Settings” –> Personalization
The Background section offers 3 options for customizing your desktop background. You have the option to select a Picture, Solid Color, or create a Slideshow.
Selecting a Picture
Select Picture from the drop-down menu. Next, choose one of the of default images or click Browse to add your favorite picture or image.
Once you choose your image, you’ll see a preview of how it’ll look on your desktop.
If you’ve chosen the image you want to use, next choose a Fit from the drop-down menu. There are 6 fitting options from which to choose: Fill, Fit, Stretch, Tile, Center, and Span.
- Fill – The image is stretched to fit the entire desktop horizontally and vertically. The image stretches using the center-most area of the image.
- Fit – The image will fit the desktop vertically. Using this feature, you can also choose a custom color to fill the left and right edges of the image if your image doesn’t entirely fill the desktop horizontally. Choose a default background color or select a Custom color.
- Stretch – Stretch and Fill are similar options. Your image is stretched to fit the entire desktop horizontally and vertically. However, the image is only stretched to the edges of the image.
- Tile – This option will tile the image to fill your desktop background. This is a handy option if you’re using a mosaic image as your desktop background.
- Center – Your image will be centered in the middle of the desktop without being stretched. You can also select a default or custom color to fill the outer edges of the image.
- Span – Similar to Fill and Stretch, your image is spanned to fill all areas of the desktop.
Selecting a Color
If you’d rather use a solid color for your desktop background, choose “Solid Color” from the drop-down menu.
Windows 10 offers default solid colors from which to choose or you can add a Custom Color.
Choose a color from the default list of 24 colors. Once chosen, you’ll see how the color will look in the preview window.
To use a custom color, click “Custom Color” and a dialog box will open to pick a custom color.
- Click the interface directly to choose the color you want. After you click the interface, the name of the color will be displayed. A slider is available to adjust the brightness according to your preference.
- If you want to use color codes to choose your background color, click “More” to display this option. Enter the values in RGB, HSV, or Hex and click “Done.”
Creating a Slideshow
To create a Slideshow as your desktop background, select “Slideshow” from the drop-down menu.
- First, click “Browse” to select the folder that contains the images you want to display.
- Choose how often you want the background image to rotate from the drop-down menu. You can choose 1 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 6 hours, or 1 day.
- To have the images shuffle, select On or Off with the Shuffle button.
- Choose whether or not to allow the slideshow to run when on battery power. This option will conserve battery usage.
- Choose a fit for the images in your slideshow. The Fit is the same as when selecting a picture to display on your desktop background. (Fill, Fit, Stretch, Tile, Center, and Span)
After you’ve chosen whether to display an image, solid color, or slideshow as your desktop background, simply close the dialog box. Your custom desktop is now live.
Note: You can also tweak and customize your Windows 10 Start Menu and Taskbar to personalize your computer even more. Learn how in this article: How to Customize the Windows 10 Start Menu.