How to Repair Your Computer After a System Crash
A system crash could be extremely alarming if you were working on an important task for your job or school. Not only does a system crash cause a delay, which is maddening, it can also render your computer permanently useless if not properly repaired.
There are two types of crashes: a crash of an operating system and a hard drive crash. An operating system crash is considered a logical failure, and a hard drive crash is a physical failure. It can be quite challenging to determine the problem as well as a workable solution. Whatever the issue happens to be, your data cannot be accessed in either case.
A system crash can be caused by:
- Hardware issue
- Software issue
- RAM related problems
- Overloaded hard disk
- Abrupt power failure
- Viruses / Malware
Steps need to be taken when it happens:
- Try to do a soft reboot by clicking on the ‘Start’ menu and then ‘Restart’ option. If a soft reboot is not possible, try performing a hard reboot by pressing the Power button.
- If your computer is working fine after the restart, check for any possible reason for the system crash like installation of new software, browser plugins, or infected music downloads.
- You need to restart the computer in safe mode if the problem is caused by software that has been installed recently. Safe mode is the diagnostic mode of an OS.
- To restart the computer in Safe Mode, go to the OS boot options and select Safe Mode. If you need internet connectivity while diagnosing your computer, select Safe Mode with networking.
- Once in safe mode, you can easily perform system maintenance tasks and fix your computer by scanning for malware, updating hardware drivers, and uninstalling the suspicious software or files.
These manual methods can be used to repair a crashed system, but using a specific tool is more convenient. There are a lot of repair tools available. Following are tools we find to be quite useful.
This software is a good option to fix common OS issues. No installation is required. The program files can be saved to any part of the hard disk and FixWin can be launched by clicking on the executable.
You can download it from here: FixWin
MiniTool Power Data Recovery:
A system crash can also result in the loss of data. MiniTool Power Data Recovery can be used to recover lost data as well as recover data from a damaged partition. It is simple to use even for a person who is not technically sound.
Download here: MiniTool Power Data Recovery
SystemRescueCd is a bootable live CD that contains a complete OS based on Linux. It can be used to repair your system and recover lost data after a crash. The software supports both Linux and Windows Operating Systems. Additionally, it comes with an entire package of other useful administrative and repair tools for your system such as disk management programs, memory test utilities, data recovery tools, and more.
Download here: SystemRescueCd
F-Secure Rescue CD:
If your PC becomes unresponsive after a system crash and you can no longer normally boot your system or can’t boot into Safe Mode, F-Secure Rescue CD is an excellent solution to securely boot and repair your system. It will fix your computer by scanning and disinfecting your system of all problem causing threats. You can easily repair your system by using this software. It’s flexible as you can burn it to a CD or use a USB drive. The software is available in both the versions.
Download here: F-Secure Rescue CD