Mp3tag 2.78 Pick
FREEWAREFILES EDITOR'S REVIEW
Tagging songs does not only help you personalize your music collection but also makes it easier to sort them according to your preferences. If you want a free MP3 tag editor to help you in the process, then Mp3tag is a good choice. You can use the powerful program to perform various functions, including creating playlists, replacing words or characters in tags, renaming files depending on tag information and exporting or importing tag information.
- Batch tag editing
- Full Unicode support
- Cover art support
- Renaming files using tags or vice versa
- Replacing words or characters
- Importing from MusicBrainz, freedb, discogs and Amazon
- Automatic playlist creation
Mp3tag makes it easy to edit an entire music library irrespective of the tagging methods used in individual songs. This means you will use the same set of standards in your library, which makes it easier to organize your music collection.
The batch editing feature made it easy for us to work on multiple files simultaneously. We just needed to select them with the mouse and then edit relevant details on the left part of the main program window. We could use regular expressions to replace the strings used in tags.
The ability to import information from different online sources was even more convenient, as we did not have to do the typing. Searching for relevant details in such online databases as freedb, discogs, MusicBrainz and Amazon was a breeze, and the program filled the details automatically. We also downloaded album covers to make our music library more aesthetically appealing.
Once we had created our tags, we used them to rename our music files for better organization. If you like the way your songs are named, then you can use the names to create your tags instead. The program is also useful in creating lists of music collections and other reports, which you can export as CSV, RTF or HTML files.
Mp3tag is a powerful and free MP3 tag editor that makes it easy to organize a large music collection. The editor is compatible with about 14 different music formats.
Software Product Description
- Write ID3v1.1-, ID3v2-, APEv2-Tags and Vorbis Comments to multiple files at once
- Full Unicode support
- Support for embedded cover art
- Automatically create playlists
- Recursive subfolders support
- Remove parts or the entire tag of multiple files
- Rename files based on the tag information
- Import tags from filenames
- Format tags and filenames
- Replace characters or words from tags and filenames
- Regular Expressions
- Export tag information to user-defined formats (like html, rtf, csv, xml)
- Import tag information from online databases like freedb or Amazon (also by text-search)
- Import tag information from local freedb databases
- Support for ID3v2.3 (ISO-8859-1 and UTF-16) and ID3v2.4 with UTF-8
- and much more ...
Mp3tag supports the following audio formats:
- Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
- Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
- Monkey's Audio (ape)
- Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
- MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
- Musepack (mpc)
- Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
- OptimFROG (ofr)
- OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
- Speex (spx)
- Tom's Audio Kompressor (tak)
- True Audio (tta)
- Windows Media Audio (wma)
- WavPack (wv)
"works great for me"
Reviewer: -bob mcmainhs
Review Date: 2015-05-01
Pros: wide variety of tagging tools including online tag sorces, flexible file name to tag and tag to file name.
Cons: haven't noticed any in my usage
Other Thoughts: essential tool for audio tagging.